- Social skills, be a people person, socialise
- Know how to promote yourself
- And be able to constantly develop in your professional practice.
I feel that reflection is a very powerful way of learning!
As a dancer i feel i am constantly reflecting on professional work, weather it be whilst in the moment or weather you are out of it.
Example; Whilst at an audition i am an active thinker i am in the moment currently thinking/ reflecting to improve....... I want the job so i will pull out all the stop be on top of my game and actively think.
- Dancers are very particular people; we like to get things right
- we like to make alterations to suit the piece constantly
- we criticize ourselves a hell of a lot.
I am a very organised person and i take my professional practise very seriously Being organised i like to write lists a lot, and this is one way that i use daily to write.
Reflection is a key skill in this industry, and i know i critically reflect a lot. I am a person who believes reflective practise is done every second of everyday subconsciously, we don't realise we do this as it is the norm to us.
David Schon believed in the idea of;
reflection in action........ reflection in the moment as something is happening
reflection on action..........reflecting after the event, looking back
These theory's are then furthered by by a man called Robert Kottcamp who believes that reflection in action is much harder than the second theory. However i tend to disagree with this statement as a performer/ dancer. I feel that when in rehearsals or auditions you reflect whilst in the moment you make things work for you, suit your needs. You act upon it in the moment not on action most certainly in action.
I have come up with the idea that
Rehearsals are Reflections = They make you improve on
You as a performer feel that something is wrong so you tell the choreographer at the time you don't go home an reflect on it.
I am very actively aware of Reflection.
Whilst i was also reading the reader when i came across John Dewey's theory's,i found these most interesting. Dewey believes that reflective thought is a way of making us aware that we are having an experience.
"active, persistent, an careful consideration of any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusions to which it tends" (Dewey 1933)
I find this quote/ theory most interesting the way i interpret this is, he believed that social change was an experience and that if people had full experiences and full engagement in their lives they would be be better able to be part of society. This i completely agree with. This i believe is the core to try more in society and to expand on knowledge, a way of keep on learning. Once you have some knowledge/ experience i feel there is no stopping you, possibilities are openly endless to you, once the experience is in place there are then stepping stones for more and more experience.
- I am professionally trained. I have the experiences and learning basis, i know my professional practice but until i have experience i can See the real industry and gain my own experiences.
- I gain experiences and off of one experiences more should happen but only if i make them.
- I work professionally and experience grow
- If i want to further my career i have my Diploma in place, to then further this i have to attend University to top to a Degree
- I start a Degree to grow and learn more, obtain more qualifications
- I them do a PGCE to hopefully teach
- I then become a qualified teacher and pass on my experiences.
So hereby i show an example of the quotation this example shows persistence, myself being active, knowledge to support me further. In this 21st century there is no stopping experiences and more creative learning.
David Kold also had his own ideas and theories and developed the idea of a cycle- a learning cycle. I find this theory also very interesting and helpful and it makes me realize that i also can work this way.
As you can see that by this cycle i feel that i don't start at the top i think that i enter the cycle from the left just before the top. I am a person who starts to learn when trying out ideas this is active experimentation. This is my learning style.
Therefore Kolb has taught me about how i learn and what methods are best for me , and the tools for approaching experience.